Wednesday 3 May 2017

Lasting Friendships!

Lasting Friendships!




Every now and then, we get a glimpse of how we are really and truly blessed by the people who have come into our lives. Yesterday was one of those moments.

Mark, Paul, Alan, Rosie
As parents of children whom I had the privilege of teaching in my early days, Rosemary and Paul were very supportive. I became close friends with the family and will be forever grateful for the many wonderful times I spent in their company. 

After having lunch with Rosemary and Paul, we spent a couple of hours in a coffee shop in Southampton and were reunited with some long-standing and special friends.

It was awesome that these wonderful people made the effort and took the time to be with us.

I have known Theresa since my first days in Hampshire. She always made me feel welcome at the church I used to attend when I first moved to Calmore, near Totton. She hasn't changed one bit, and it was a delight to see her.
Sarah, Alan, Theresa

Sarah will always hold a special place in my heart. Her mom, dad, and family embraced me in those early days and I was always welcome in their home. I had the honour of teaching piano to all three children - Sarah, Chris, and Rachel, (their younger brother, Luke, was fortunate enough to escape that experience!!). We had many laughs in those days and I'll never forget the time I spent with Sarah in the Loire Valley when I went to stay with her while she was working as an au pair with a lovely family there.

Alan and Michele
Michele - what can I say about him? He is one beautiful soul and I am so darn proud of the awesome man he has become. He was in my very first class when I started teaching. You couldn't help but love him and the sparkle in his eyes endeared him to you - even when he was getting into scrapes!!! I can't tell you how it made me feel that he wanted to come and meet us, and it was an honour to get to meet Mona and his two wonderful children.

Michele, Alan, and Mark

Carol and I were neighbours when I moved into the first home I bought in Redbridge, just a mile away from Totton. I will never forget her generosity and kindness over the years. I didn’t learn to drive until I came to live in Canada, so Carol would regularly give me a ride to the supermarket every Saturday. She was also kind enough to laugh at all my jokes – even when she’d heard them before. We spent many hours together in those days, and it was fabulous to see her yesterday.

Alan, Carol, Mark

Alan, Michele, and Tony
Tony was the first headmaster (principal) with whom I had the privilege to serve in the teaching profession. It was Tony that encouraged me to choose that profession over another about which I had been thinking of taking up. He was always supportive of me in my green days, and I learned so much from him. I will always be grateful for his guidance and his unfailing example of dedication and commitment, which stood me in good stead throughout my career. Tony and his wonderful wife, Jill (who, unfortunately passed away just over a year ago) invited me into their home every week when I went to teach piano to their daughter, Catherine – though I’m not sure how much learning was achieved amongst the laughter we always generated in those half-hour sessions! I will always be grateful to their son, Tim, through whom I was able to reconnect with Tony just last year. Tim is an exceptional musician and is well known as a performer and masterclass instructor in the U.K.

Sarah, Alan, Michele, Tony, Theresa

Top Row: Alan, Mark, Tony, and Theresa
Bottom Row: Sarah and Michele


Pauline is a soul mate whom I met when I was serving as a nurse for mentally challenged people in a local hospital. Our friendship was solidified many years ago and has remained constant ever since. She has an innate wisdom and was a true friend who always told me what I needed to hear – not just what I wanted to hear. She has a huge heart and has always been so loving and full of kindness. This has been inherited by her amazing sons – Jim and Paul. These two young men were a very important part of my life while I lived in Totton, and their friendship will always be a very special treasure for which I will always have appreciation. It has been an honour to have had some time with them during this visit. We finally got to meet the gorgeous Lisa, (Paul’s other half) and their two delightful children. We haven’t met Jim’s other half yet, but we’re hoping to do so before we move on to our next venue.
Alan and 'Our Jim'

Top Row: Mark, Alan, Derek (with Alannah on his shoulder), and Paul
Bottom Row: Will and Lisa

Alan, Pauline, and Mark

Alannah, Alan, and William, with Jim presiding!

Alan, Mark, Jim, and Paul - with Alannah and Will in the background

Alan, Will, Mark, and Alannah


We continually meet the most amazing people wherever we go and we certainly hold our newer friends very dear to our hearts. This trip has reminded us of those who have been in our lives for a very long time and we feel honoured and blessed that they wanted to spend a few hours with us.

The Boulangerie Victor Hugo, in Southampton - where we met all these fine folks

There were many other friends we would like to have seen but we didn’t get the chance to do so. Hopefully, we will get to meet them on future trips. Thanks to social media, we are able to keep in touch, regardless of the distance between us.

I'll let my childhood pop idols, Cliff Richard and Cilla Black, have the final word about friendship...





blogger templatesblogger widgets

No comments :

Post a Comment